Connect Terms and
Conditions—Community Rules, Etiquette, and Privacy Guidelines
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions, shared files, and content that is best suited to this medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions regarding this community should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or directed to the “Contact Us” page.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact NCACPA’s Member Engagement Department. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violates these rules.
- Don't challenge or attack others. The discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation, not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Don't post commercial messages on any discussion list, resource library entry, or other area. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
- Job postings are not permitted on any discussion list or resource library. NCACPA’s Career Center is available to all members, and any jobs posted in the Career Center will also be featured on Connect’s homepage. For more information about the Career Center, contact email@example.com. NCACPA is currently evaluating its code of conduct and will be reviewing requests pertaining to job postings or service offerings on a case-by-case basis.
- Advertisements are not permitted on any discussion list or resource library, including but not limited to products, services, and continuing professional education offerings.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the lists and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited.
- Other participants have the right to reproduce postings to this site unless you specify otherwise.
- Post your messages or documents only to the most appropriate lists or libraries. Do not spam several lists or libraries with the same message.
- All messages must add to the body of knowledge. We reserve the right to reject any message for any reason.
As a reminder, we want our members to feel comfortable sharing and asking questions within our discussion community, so please contact contributors before sharing any discussion post outside of the Connect platform. If you do not receive permission to share members’ comments, please do not do so, as violation of these rules may result in termination from the community.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- Include a signature tag on all messages, including your name, affiliation, and location.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your post and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals—not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link to the left of every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list.” Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing e-mail addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new e-mail address. Simply change your settings.
- Warn other list subscribers of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says, "Long Message."
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants (NCACPA). NCACPA is not responsible for the opinions and information posted by others on this site. We disclaim all warranties regarding information posted on this site, whether posted by NCACPA or any third party. This disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall NCACPA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages, or any damages whatsoever, resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of, or in connection with, the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants NCACPA and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
NCACPA does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, if any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of NCACPA, we will take all appropriate action.
NCACPA reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
We Respect Your Privacy
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number, and email address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside our organization except as noted below.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site?
- Our Service Providers—We may share your personal information with companies (including our affiliates) that perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
- Government and Legal Disclosures—We may disclose the personal information we collect through this site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our terms and conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this site; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Remember the Risks Whenever You Use the Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us, and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition, other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information, please reach out using our “Contact Us” page.